The first year hubby started a garden for us, about four years ago, he allowed the zucchini to grow to gargantuan proportions. One of those monsters would have sufficed for the summer, yet he brought in at least one each day. Needless to say, we gave away a ton of zucchini that summer.
Today’s recipe, Zucchini Cheese Bread, resulted from a search for recipes that summer to use up our harvest. And it remains a favorite of both of ours. Unfortunately, I don’t know where I found it, for my notes are only marked with “internet” as the source.
The bread is dense, giving it heartiness. The green onions and pepper give it a surprise savory twist. But my favorite part of the bread is the cheddar and parmesan cheeses. I love biting into a thick slice of bread and getting a taste of sharp cheddar in every mouthful.
Not only does the bread have bits of cheese throughout, but you sprinkle a portion on top, so it bakes up golden and crunchy and full of tangy, savory cheese flavor. Divine!
Zucchini Cheese Bread
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 4 oz. (1 cup) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups zucchini, coarsely shredded
- 2-3 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 9” x 5” loaf pan.
- In small bowl, combine 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese plus 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Add 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese and 6 tbsp. of Parmesan cheese; also add zucchini and green onion. Mix.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs with fork; stir in milk and oil. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened (batter will be very thick).
- Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan and spread evenly; sprinkle with reserved cheeses.
- Bake 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool loaf pan on wire rack for five minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.