Lest you think all we eat in our house are desserts, I thought I’d better post something savory rather than sweet that serves as a main dish. Hence, today I bring you taquitos, something I’ve loved ever since I can remember. I never imagined I would be able to make my own, as is the case with many of the dishes I’ve been making lately, so I am thrilled to have this recipe in my repertoire.
Anyhow, these aren’t quite like the taquitos I grew up loving–you know, the hard shell tightly wrapped around a thin sliver of supposedly beef but looking more like shreds of brown string and deep fried to greasy perfection? Yes, I loved those. Especially slathered in creamy guacamole.
However, my now-matured taste buds know what a disgusting farce those are. And besides, I much prefer having control over what I wrap those tortillas around.
The original recipe calls for chicken, but during the summer, we had a Mexican-themed party and I had a ton of Mashed Black Beans and homemade refried beans leftover, so I adapted the recipe to suit my leftovers. And oh my, how tasty those turned out. I’ve made taquitos since with chicken but, truthfully, I prefer the black bean version.
So, below I’ll share the original recipe as well as my adaptation. Whatever you choose, I highly recommend these. They are easy, yummy, and even freeze well for cooking later on–straight from the freezer.
Creamy Chicken (or Black Bean) Taquitos
- 3 oz. cream cheese (1/3 cup), softened
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice (I freeze lime juice by the tablespoons in ice cube trays, then store them in Ziploc bags–very convenient)
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1-2 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups shredded chicken (or two cups Mashed Black Beans or any combo of beans and meat)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- 10-12 (6-inch) flour tortillas (I prefer the corn tortillas)
- cooking spray
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, spices, cilantro, green onions, chicken, and shredded cheese. Mix until well combined.
- Briefly heat the tortillas in the microwave to soften them enough to roll easily, about 20-30 seconds (I heated them two at a time). Place a tortilla on a work surface, and spoon 2-3 tbsp. of filling slightly below the middle of each tortilla. Roll the tortilla tightly around the filling. Place seam side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling, spacing the assembled taquitos evenly on the baking sheet. (Note: If you want to freeze instead of bake, transfer baking sheet to the freezer and chill the assembled taquitos 30-60 minutes. Transfer to a freezer-safe container or plastic bag. To bake from freezer, simply add a few minutes to the original baking time, until the filling is warmed through.)
- Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, until crisp and golden brown. Serve with sour cream, guacamole, and/or salsa, if desired.
Yield: 12 taquitos