Hubby loves tartar sauce with the lighter fish we eat, such as crappie (pronounced “croppie”). Though I’m not fond of tartar sauce, he loves this version that I can whip up in just a few minutes. Seriously easy to make. If you like tartar sauce, I highly recommend giving this recipe a whirl.
Yield: 3/4 cup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (add more mayo if it’s too watery and you’d like it creamier…I add more b/c hubby likes his tartar sauce thicker)
- 2 tbsp. small-diced pickles or cornichons (or use relish but that adds a sweet element if you like sweeter tartar sauce)
- 1 tbsp. chopped onions (I used red onions)
- 1 tbsp. Champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. capers (juice might thin out sauce, so I try to drain juice out)
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. coarse-grained mustard (or spicy brown mustard or even Dijon…I use Dijon)
- pinch kosher salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor or mini chopper fitted with a steel blade and pulse several times until the pickles are finely chopped and all the ingredients are well mixed but not pureed. If you prefer chunkier sauce, just mix with a spoon rather than use a food processor.
SOURCE: Food Network (Ina Garten)